FEATURE SALON OCTOBER EDITON
Utopia Salon & Day Spa Center- Westfield, NJ
Salon Owner- Nubia Suarez
Meet Nubia. Nubia and her stylists are know as "The Curly Hair Specialist." I would also say she is passionate, talented, and an innovator in the industry. Nubia is the founder and creator of rëZOcut. Her passion and love for curls keep her finding new lines and creating different collections in cutting as well new products. In the first photo below, she has her rëZOcut ambassadors, who are passionate women, wearing their natural curls with pride.
As a young Latina, Nubia was raised around colors and textures because her mother was a seamstress. "Growing up I fell in love with all things beauty related; fashion, makeup, nails, and hair. After 40 years in the beauty industry and owning a salon with 25 stylist, I can honestly say, this industry was and still is my calling." As always, we hope this interview will motivate you, inspire you, and encourage you, to continue to share your love and passion for the beauty industry. Enjoy!
1. What has been one of the hardest things to overcome since becoming a salon owner?
One of the hardest things I have had to overcome as a salon owner is coming to terms that not everyone is honest. I have experienced how cut throat this industry can be. Being betrayed by those I thought I could trust the most has made me stronger has a stylist and salon owner.
2. Time management seems to be a challenge for salon owners. Can you give us some tips on how to work efficiently and effectively in terms of the day to day operation?
Delegate. It's so important to build a team of responsible people who can be assigned tasks. I have a wonderful team of stylist, managers, and assistants who help me keep my salon working efficiently.
3. What piece of advice would you give to other salon owners who are also just starting out in the business?
Never give up! I can guarantee you it will not be easy, but I can also guarantee that if you believe in yourself and continue to educate yourself, you will succeed.
4. Describe leadership and the importance of being a great leader for your team! How does this increase growth within your business?
To be a great leader, you must be a sense of inspiration to your employees. Lead by example, respect your team, and be prepared to help them grow.
5. How are you attracting stylists? Do you hire and train right out beauty school? How long is your assistant program?
I hired both experienced stylist and beauty students. Our assistant program is an 18 month program that includes weekly class which are held during outside salon hours and taught by one of my stylist.
6. You are a salon that specializes in curly hair. Tell me some tips in terms of consultations with your curly haired clients?
I believe that listening to your clients is so important. For me, I want to know about my client's day to day. I want to learn about who they are in order to give them the cut and/or style that best fits their lifestyle. After suffering with Alopecia, I fell in love with curly hair and it's so important for me to educate those with curly hair in hope to inspire them to love theirs too.
7. Give us some tips on cutting curly hair! Do you cut dry or wet?
I cut curly hair both wet or dry; it all depends on the curl and how the clients likes to wear his/her curls. I have created my own curly hair technique called RezoCut.